Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Service Pack 2 is a free and feature-rich database for developing and deploying SQL Server 2008 R2.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Service Pack 2 is a free, feature-rich edition of SQL Server that is ideal for learning, developing, powering desktop, web & small server applications, and for redistribution by ISVs.
Key Features Offered By SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express:
- Supports stored procedures, triggers, functions, and views
- Store all kinds of business data with native support for relational data, XML, FILESTREAM and spatial data
- Improved performance, usability, visualization, in addition to integration with the Microsoft 2007 Office System in SQL Server Reporting Services
- Simplify development efforts by leveraging existing T-SQL skills, ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ
- Closely integrated with Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer
How to Install the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition
SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express Editions:
SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Tools: Core edition of Express that supports development. Includes SQL Server 2008 Database Engine and SQL Server Management Studio Express
SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services : Extends SQL Server 2008 Express with tools to include support for Integrated Full-text Search and Reporting Services
SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (Runtime Only): Includes the SQL Database Engine only and is designed for deployments and ISV redistribution.
SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Management Studio Express: Free, easy-to-use graphical management tool for configuring, managing, and administering SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express. It can also manage instances of the SQL Server Database Engine created by any edition of SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2.
Customers looking to download SQL Server Express and SQL Server Management Studio Express for the first time, please download the bundle: SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools.
KB article 2630458 provides additional information about key fixes in SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 for all SQL Server Editions. To learn more about SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 please review SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Release Notes.
To install or update SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 one will need adminstrative rights on the computer.
Step 1: Install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or later from the
Step 2: Download SQL Server Express by clicking the SQLEXPR.EXE or SQLEXPR32.EXE link on this page. To start the installation immediately, click Run. To install SQL Server Express at a later time, click Save.
Note: SQLEXPR32.EXE is a smaller package that can be used to install SQL Server Express on 32-bit operating systems only. The SQLEXPR.EXE package supports installing onto both 32-bit and 64-bit (WOW install) operating systems. There is no other difference between these packages.
Step 3: Follow the installation instructions provided in the Readme. Known issues may be found in the
Choose the download you want
SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM and SQL 2008 R2 Express Downloads
SQL Server 2008 R2 was released to manufacturing. As usual, a free (and limited scale/functionality) Express edition was also released. There are three packages, from the version just with the core components, the version with management functionality, and the version that has management and more advanced features:
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Express: The Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express RTM is a powerful and reliable data management system that delivers a rich set of features, data protection, and performance for embedded applications, lightweight Web Sites and applications, and local data stores. Designed for easy deployment and rapid prototyping, this download includes support for Sysprep, Microsoft’s System Preparation Utility for Microsoft Windows operating system deployment.
- SQL 2008 R2 Express with Management Tools: an easy-to-use version of the SQL Server Express data platform that includes the graphical management tool SQL Server Management Studio (SMSS) Express
- SQL 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services: an easy-to-use version of the SQL Server Express data platform that includes the graphical management tool SQL Server Management Studio (SMSS) Express, powerful features for reporting, and advanced text-based search capabilities
The requirements for the Express edition are:
- Windows 7; Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Server 2008 R2; Windows Vista; Windows XP
- 32-bit systems: Computer with Intel or compatible 1GHz or faster processor (2 GHz or faster is recommended.)
- 64-bit systems: 1.4 GHz or faster processor
- Minimum of 512 MB of RAM (2 GB or more is recommended.)
- 2.2 GB of available hard disk space
[WPCR_SHOW POSTID=”ALL” NUM=”5″ PAGINATE=”1″ PERPAGE=”5″ SHOWFORM=”1″ HIDEREVIEWS=”0″ HIDERESPONSE=”0″ SNIPPET=”” MORE=”” HIDECUSTOM=”0″ ]